For the past 20 years, Canada has been getting greener with Earth Day. In Canada we take our wild life seriously. Many of our biggest and best tourist attractions are our natural beauties, including Lake Louise, the Bay Of Fundy, and The Quebec Winter Carnival. On the World’s Cleanest Countries list, Canada rates 12th. We need to step up and get our country back into shape! What better day to do this, then today.
Top 10 ways to paint Canada more green, today, tomorrow or any day.
- Watch Disney’s new movie Oceans, to be released earth day (Today!)
- Partake in an Earth day event or organize one. To find one check out Canada’s Earth day website.
- Grab a pair of gloves & a garbage bag and walk out your front door. Challenge yourself and go for a walk. Pick up garbage along the way, see how far you can get until the bag is full. You’d be surprised how tired you’ll get of picking up Tim Horton’s roll up the rim to win cups.
- Start a recycling program at your work or school. It’s not too hard. Just get everyone to chip in with 2$ or 5$ for some blue boxes. Then make a list of volunteers to collect them every week or nicely ask the janitorial staff to include them in their rounds.
- Plant a tree. Better yet, plant a garden! Even if it’s a small one. I see, fresh herbs and vegetables in your near future. Live in the city? Make a mini garden. Here are some great instructions on how to grow sprouts inside from instuctables.
- Make a green facebook event, to go on a walk, swimming, camping, or anything that has to do with the outdoors. Make it an all day event open to everyone and taking place everywhere.
- Buy local and eat local. Go find your local farmers market. I hear they sell the tastiest food, juiciest berries, freshest pies, and vegetables so good you’ll want to eat them raw.
- Get solar panels for your house. Don’t have that kind of cash, switch all your light bulbs with energy saving ones instead.
- Go visit your grandparents. Ask them questions and learn from them. Back in my grandparents’ day, they grew all their own food. With the fruits and vegetables left over from the garden, they made preserves. Hang out with them for a day and learn how to do this. Nothing is better then homemade jelly on toast.. MMmmm.
- Turn Off your computer, lights, TV, or that blender your brother left in on in the kitchen all day after making margaritas. What ever it is your not using right now, Just flick the switch.
Enjoy today, tomorrow and everyday.